Let me guess, you’ve decided to adopt a Basset Hound puppy, and you live In the Kentucky area? However, you will want to choose reputable Basset Hound breeders in Kentucky who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.!
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in Kentucky, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading Breeders in Kentucky with all of their information.
Top 5 Basset Hound Breeders In Kentucky
Why Buy a Basset Hound From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
Basset Hound Breed Overview
The main feature of the Basset Hound is that its appearance has little to do with the character and physical capabilities of the dog. It seems that this animal is always sad and unable to lead an active lifestyle.
They really love to laze on the couch or in the master’s bed. However, in life they are unusually positive and rather mobile creatures.
Basset Hounds are quite large dogs. Although in height they reach only 12–15 inches (up to the withers), the weight of these animals is decent – up to 72 pounds and more. Gender differences are not very noticeable: the height of individuals of different sexes differs by only 0.7-1 inches, weight – by 8-12 pounds.
The characteristic external features of the breed are a rather obese body and disproportionately short legs. This is why Basset Hounds are often considered lazy, slow-moving dogs. In fact, they move rhythmically and freely.
Of course, representatives of this breed will not keep up with a horse, but hunting on foot is just what Basset Hounds need. This, by the way, is one of the reasons why hunters often acquire these dogs for hunting small animals and birds.
Purebred Basset Hounds come in two or three colors. Monochromatic color is another reason for culling.
The following color combinations are possible:
- white, black and brown;
- white and brown;
- white and red.
Basset hounds inherited a red hue from the Bloodhounds. The standard allows crossing completely red dogs, but with white legs.
The coat of the Basset Hounds is smooth and short, with a good undercoat – dogs feel comfortable outside in the winter. The skin of this breed produces an oil lubricant -that covers the dog’s coat.
How To Choose a Basset Hound Puppy?
To buy a thoroughbred puppy, get acquainted with the breed standards and find out the approximate price of these dogs. You can talk to experienced breeders, visit exhibitions. This is the only way to get a purebred Basset Hound. Here are the points to watch out for:
- Sometimes the puppy is born pure gray or black. In this case, breeders talk about a mutation caused by incorrect selection of parents. In the future, such a dog will not be allowed to participate in exhibitions. It’s not suitable for obtaining purebred offspring.
- Long coat is another sign of a “defective” Basset Hound.
- The puppy must have documents with pedigree.
Before buying, you need to examine the puppy. Signs of a healthy individual:
- The skin is clean. The same applies to the ears – you need to look into them. The presence of sulfur, unpleasant odor, crusts is a bad sign.
- The tail is free of curvatures and kinks. You need to pay attention to this, even if you do not plan to send the dog to the exhibition in the future or use it for mating. Deviations from the norm – those that do not affect the health of the Basset Hound – serve as an excuse to reduce the price.
- Smooth and thick legs. After all, a rather massive body of a dog will hold on to them.
- The tummy is pulled in. No signs of unevenness or hernia.
- Basset Hound is cheerful and playful, eats with gusto. This can be determined by observing its behavior for some time.
Average Price of a Basset Hound Puppy in Kentucky?
A Basset Hound puppy in Kentucky has an average price of $1200-$1500. Some Breeders could even offer Basset Hound puppies for $3000 or even higher.
The cost of a Basset Hound puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a Basset Hound Puppy
The set of items needed to keep a Basset Hound alive is typical. It includes:
- Sleeping place. What to choose (a regular bedding or a comfortable pillow).
- Bowls for food and water. ”] The second should be deep.
- Toys. As already noted, the appearance of the Basset Hound is deceiving – it is a very mobile and cheerful dog. With a lack of toys, any objects that fall into the eyes of the pet will be used.
- Leash. The Basset Hound is an addicting dog. If it smells a potential prey during a walk, it will have to look for it in the thickets and tall grass. Therefore, you need to walk the dog on a leash. An exception is a fenced area.
- Hygiene products. In the case of a basset hound, you will need shampoo, preferably tar, napkins or an ordinary soft cloth for wiping the skin, dry chamomile flowers.
Sometimes breeders buy a litter box for the dog. It is more important to train the puppy to relieve itself during a walk.
It is strictly forbidden to chain a Basset Hound. It’s also not adapted to life on the street. Therefore, even if you have your own house and plot, the dog will have to be settled in a residential building.
The Basset Hound is a picky dog, but due to its special body structure, it needs constant care.
Caring for a Basset Hound comes down to the following:
- Every day, at least a couple of times a week, the dog needs to be brushed with a brush with soft natural bristles. This stimulates blood circulation and has a positive effect on the condition of the coat. In spring and autumn, when shedding occurs in dogs of this breed, combing is indispensable.
- Every day you need to inspect the auricles and clean them with a damp cloth or cotton pads.
- For the prevention of eye diseases, they should be washed daily with chamomile infusion or regular tea.
- You should bathe your Basset Hound no more than twice a month with shampoo. After the procedure, the coat can be blotted with a towel and dried with a hairdryer.
- Skin folds and paws need daily care – they can be wiped off with a damp cloth. It is especially important to do this immediately after a walk.
- It is recommended to trim the claws of the dog once or twice a month. This is done for hygiene purposes.
- If a strong odor appears, you can wipe the skin with a solution of tar shampoo or vinegar. If this does not help, visit your veterinarian – strong basset hound amber appears when the perianal glands are blocked.
Basset Hound Puppies For Sale in Kentucky
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future Basset Hound puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have Basset Hound puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
Top Basset Hound Breeders In America
- Basset Hound Breeders In Washington
- Basset Hound Breeders In Iowa
- Basset Hound Breeders In Pennsylvania
- Basset Hound Breeders In New York
- Basset Hound Breeders In Kansas
- Basset Hound Breeders In Nebraska
- Basset Hound Breeders In South Carolina
- Basset Hound Breeders In Louisiana
- Basset Hound Breeders In Colorado
- Basset Hound Breeders In Massachusetts
- Basset Hound Breeders In Oklahoma
- Basset Hound Breeders In South Dakota
- Basset Hound Breeders In Michigan
- Basset Hound Breeders In Virginia
- Basset Hound Breeders In Texas
- Basset Hound Breeders In California
- Basset Hound Breeders In Arkansas
- Basset Hound Breeders In North Carolina
We hope that our well-researched breeder’s list helps you ease your process of finding your future Basset Hound puppy.
Choosing a basset hound or another basset-like dog for keeping is a serious decision. After all, a pet must be accepted with all its shortcomings and the understanding that its life and health depend to a greater extent on a person. And with a breed like the Basset Hound, this is not easy.
Therefore, it is worth weighing the pros and cons, foreseeing and eliminating possible difficulties in living together. Then the Basset Hound will truly become a loyal friend and family member.