Let me guess, you’ve decided to adopt a German shorthaired pointer dog, and you live In the Texas area? However, you will want to choose reputable German shorthaired breeders in Texas who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.!
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in Texas, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult which is why we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading Breeders in Texas with all of their information.
There are some great and Top German Shorthaired Breeders In Colorado that might be able to help.
Best German Shorthaired Pointer Breeders In Texas
1) Wing And A Prayer Shorthairs + Katy German Shorthaired Pointer
at WAAPS they breed selectively for the desired characteristics of temperament, sound conformation, field performance and most of all health. They breed AKC Champions because they believe a conformation champion reflects the ideal picture of what breeder’s should strive for (hight, weight, angulation of limbs, what a dog should look like during movement etc.).
They hunt test their dogs in AKC and NAVHDA field events to prove their field performance abilities.
They health test their dogs and report the results to the Orthopedic Foundation of Animals. They do every heath test requirement set forth by their breed club, The German Shorthair Pointer Club of America.
3) Hi-Tailyn Shorthairs
Fort Worth Award Program Honors the Achievement FORT WORTH December 6, 2018 — Hi-Tailyn Shorthairs has been selected for the 2018 Best of Fort Worth Award in the Dog Breeder category by the Fort Worth Award Program.
Hi-Tailyn Member and Competitor in AKC, GSPCA, NGSPCA, American Field, and NSTRA Field Trials. AKC,and American Field Certified Pedigreed Purebred Dogs.
- Address: 2600 Halbert St, Fort Worth, TX 76112
- Phone Number: +18176924678
- Website: http://www.hi-tailyn.com/
4) Classic Gundogs
As a German Shorthaired Pointer breeder, Classic Gundogs strives to maintain the highest breed standards. They produce great German Shorthaired Pointer puppies that will develop into outstanding gundogs during the day and loyal family companions at night.
Their dogs are bred to have endurance with an ability to hunt several hours a day and often several days in a row. In order to do this their bodies must be constructed correctly. They want them to have a fast, smooth, graceful gait. If their feet, legs, and body are properly developed, you can expect to get many years of hunting and companionship from your dog. They want their dogs to be stylish and healthy. Their shorthaired pointers are easy to train, natural retrievers, energetic and possess the intelligent personalities of great bird dogs. Their dogs are close working but are able to adjust their range according to command. They are easy to manage and above all work for you
- Address: 7505 FM 3237, Driftwood, TX 78619
- Phone Number: +19365775721
- Website: http://classicgundogs.com
5) Heritage GSP Kennels
They are a small, family owned kennel located in Alvarado and have been since 2005.
They are a small, family owned kennel since 2005. Their German Shorthaired Pointers come from a strong German bloodline making them ideal for for anyone looking for a new dog to start hunting with.
- Address: Alvarado, TX 76009, USA
- Website: https://www.heritagegspkennels.com/
- Phone: +1 817-966-7627
6) G & S Gundogs
G & S Gundogs is a family-owned kennel located in the heart of East Texas. They specialize in the breeding of quality German Shorthaired pointers.
They breed and raise quality German Short Haired Pointers
Why Buy a German Shorthaired Pointer From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
German Shorthaired Pointer Breed Overview
The German Pointing Dog is a harmoniously built dog with drooping ears and a proud bearing. The official ICF standard with a full description of the shorthaired pointer was adopted in 1954.
According to him, the dog belongs to group 7 “Pointing Dogs”, section 1 “Continental Pointing Dogs” and has the following characteristics:
- The head is proportional, well-defined, with a moderately wide skull, long muzzle, well-developed brows, and an indistinct frontal furrow. The jaws are strong, with a full complement of strong teeth, closed in a scissor bite. The lips are well-fitting.
- The nose is slightly arched, with flexible wide nostrils and a brown or black lobe. In German shorthaired pointers, in the color of which white predominates, a flesh-colored or spotted nose is allowed.
- The eyes are of medium size, with well-fitting lids and dark brown irises.
- Ears of moderate length, rounded at the tips, set high and set wide apart. Hang down on the sides of the head.
- The body is moderately stretched, with a straight topline, muscular strong back, and deep chest. The neck is long, gradually widening downward, without dewlap at the throat.
- The limbs are strong and well-muscled. Feet are round or oval, with strong nails and rough pads. The gait is free, sweeping.
- The tail is set high, thick at the base. Often docked by 50-60%. At rest, it hangs vertically while moving it takes a horizontal position.
The German Shorthaired Pointer is a short-haired dog covered with a thick, rough, waterproof awn. The length of the hairs on the body of the cop reaches 0.5-0.8 inches. The head and ears of the dog are covered with shorter hair.
The breed standard allows several color options. Allowed include:
- black and white;
- coffee piebald;
- plain coffee;
- speckled coffee;
- coffee with gray;
- white with brown specks.
How To Choose a German Shorthaired Pointer Puppy?
Healthy shorthaired pointer puppies have an energetic and mobile temperament. They are moderately curious and have no fear of strangers. They normally have clean ears, clear eyes, smooth fur, and smooth skin without rashes or scratches.
In order to buy a healthy and thoroughbred pet, consider the following factors:
- Conditions of detention. The nursery or breeder’s house should be clean and spacious.
- The appearance of the parents. If one of the parents has visible defects, then there is a high probability of their transmission by inheritance.
- The number of puppies. The fewer puppies in the litter, the more milk they get. The stronger their immune system is.
- The activity of the future pet. The puppy should be nimble and agile. Avoid sluggish puppies with poor coordination.
- Availability of documents. Purebred German shorthaired puppies are sold along with a package of documents certifying their belonging to the breed.
Important! Before visiting the breeder, you need to decide on the sex of the future pet. Females are much more affectionate and loyal. Males are more freedom-loving and stubborn.
How Much is Average Price of a German Shorthaired Pointer Puppy in Texas?
A German shorthaired pointer puppy in Texas has an average price of $650-$1500. Some Breeders could even offer German shorthaired puppies for $2000 or even higher.
The cost of a German Shorthaired Pointing puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a German Shorthaired Pointer Puppy
A purebred puppy from a good breeder moves to a permanent residence at the age of 2-3 months. By this time, It’s already accustomed to adult food and does not need complex care. Immediately after the move, the little shorthaired pointer is allowed to get acquainted with the new possessions and is shown where it can eat and rest.
On a note. To make it easier for the pet to endure the separation from its mother and littermates, they take a thing with the smell of a “native nest” from the breeder and put it on the bed. This will help the puppy calm down and fall asleep faster.
When the little shorthaired pointer gets used to its new home, it should be taught to follow certain rules and calmly endure hygiene procedures. In order not to spoil the puppy, it’s not allowed to:
- climb upholstered furniture.
To prevent the puppy from catching viral or infectious diseases on walks, it must be vaccinated This will provide it with strong immunity:
- to parainfluenza;
- parvo and coronavirus enteritis.
The first vaccination of a German Pointing Puppy is done at the age of 8-9 weeks with a mandatory repeat after 21 days. In the future, the shorthaired pointer is vaccinated annually. Before vaccination, the dog is treated first from fleas, and then from helminths. Antihelminthic drugs are given strictly by weight with a 10-day interval.
German Shorthaired Puppies for Sale in Texas
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future German Shorthaired puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have German Shorthaired puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
We hope that our well-researched breeder’s list helps you ease your process of finding your future German Shorthaired Pointer puppy.
The German Shorthaired Pointer is a strong and hardy hunting dog with an energetic temperament and friendly disposition. It will become an excellent companion and assistant for those who are ready to provide it with full care and education.
Last Updated on December 20, 2022 by Jessica Vanclap