Let me guess, you’ve decided to adopt an American Bulldog puppy However, you will want to choose reputable American Bulldog breeders who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.!
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading American Bulldog Breeders in America with all of their information.
Top American Bulldog Breeders In American
- American Bulldog Breeders In Michigan
- American Bulldog Breeders In Georgia
- American Bulldog Breeders In Ohio
- American Bulldog Breeders In Virginia
- American Bulldog Breeders In Pennsylvania
- American Bulldog Breeders In New Jersey
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In Maine
- American Bulldog Breeders In Florida
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In Illinois
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In New York
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In Brooklyn
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In Chicago
- American Bulldog Puppies For Sale In Rochester
Why Buy an American Bulldog From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
American Bulldog Breed Overview
The American Bulldog is a fairly large breed with a height of 22-26 inches for boys, 21-25 inches for girls. Weight ranges from 112-150 pounds in males, 87-125 pounds in females.
These dogs are strong, but proportionally built, and the breed has a rather formidable appearance. The exterior is a bit rough – American Bulldogs embody strength and power. Boys are larger and more massive, girls are slightly smaller, but without a hint of weakness or thin bones.
In the process of breeding, the American Bulldog breed was divided into 2 varieties:
- Scott’s Standard – They are similar to the American Pit Bull. The muzzle is elongated, wedge-shaped, the feet are not so clearly expressed. Cope with the role of hunters or detection dogs.
- Classic Johnson – massive and squat dogs similar to English bulldogs. The muzzle is square with a sharp stop. Often they have deep folds in the neck and head. These bulldogs are ideal for guards.
Sometimes dog breeders include descriptions of two more types of the breed in the classification:
- Williamson – includes 2 subtypes: long-legged, extremely aggressive dogs and massive, balanced animals.
- Pantera are mini-bulldogs weighing up to 75 pounds, obtained by crossing classic and standard individuals.
Modern breed members combine the traits of the Scott and Johnson types, as the main goal of breeders is to obtain hardy dogs with first-class performance. The main purpose of the American Bulldog is as a companion and bodyguard.
Color and type of coat
The body of the American Bulldog is covered with short fur, the length of which does not exceed 0.5 inches The coat does not bristle, it shines beautifully in the sun.
Permitted colors of the American breed:
- White – monochromatic or with small brindle or rufous markings.
- White-brindle, white-red (from pale fawn to deep red) – the background color can be either white or colored. Accordingly, in the first case, large spots of permitted colors will be scattered over the body, in the second – large white marks.
- Tiger, red-brindle – any shades are permissible from dark with red or fawn brindle to light with rare dark markings.
The brighter and richer the colors, the better. In white-red and white-brindle dogs, light spots should occupy at least 1/3 of the body area.
Important. Black, black and tan, blue, piebald with black markings without brindle, tricolor, marble colors, as well as the presence of a dark mask on the face are disqualifying defects of the breed.
How To Choose an American Bulldog Puppy?
Before buying a puppy, it is recommended to get a full description of the breed – visit exhibitions, talk with breeders and other owners. Only an experienced dog breeder can handle a willful dog with a difficult character. It is important to correctly assess the strength and make sure that the future owner will definitely be able to subdue the dominant animal.
It is better to buy a puppy from a reliable kennel or breeder. Sick pets or dogs with serious defects of temperament are often sold through ads on the Internet. Such an American bulldog is dangerous not only for others but also for the owner.
A responsible breeder will be happy to tell you about the characteristics of the breed, the advantages and disadvantages of each puppy, not only give a verbal description but also demonstrate the litter and the parents. If mental instability is observed, it is worth contacting another nursery.
Healthy American Bulldog puppies are active and curious, they do not show aggression and do not hide when they see a new person. A good puppy is evidenced by:
- strong, moderately well-nourished body;
- shiny coat without an unpleasant odor;
- clean eyes and ears;
- cool and wet nose;
- perky and playful look;
- no obvious deviations from the standard.
Average Price of an American Bulldog Puppy?
An American Bulldog puppy has an average price of $800-$1500. Some Breeders could even offer American Bulldog puppies for $2500 or even higher.
The cost of an American Bulldog puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a American Bulldog Puppy
American Bulldogs are easy to keep – just provide them with regular walking, balanced nutrition, and minimal hygiene. A dog of this breed can live both in an apartment and in a country house. In the southern regions, open-air cages are acceptable. In severe frost, the animal must have access to a heated room, since short hair does not protect well from the cold.
It is preferable to feed the American Bulldog with premium, super-premium, or holistic dry food. They fully meet the needs of the body, contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
On a note. Due to its short muzzle, the breed is susceptible to overheating. If it is very hot outside, the American Bulldog is walked in the early morning and late evening, when there is no scorching sun.
Due to its tendency to dominate, the breed needs early socialization and behavior correction. Immediately after appearing in the house, the puppy must understand that the owner is the undisputed leader, and his word is the law. A person needs to act strictly and persistently, but without violence, otherwise, the American Bulldog will become embittered and completely stop obeying.
Without proper training, dogs grow up aggressive and uncontrollable. If the American Bulldog grins or growls at the owner and family members, you need to grab the dog’s scruff and shake it lightly. This is how animals demonstrate their own strength and superiority. The puppy will understand that his behavior is unacceptable.
American Bulldog Puppies For Sale
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future American Bulldog puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have American Bulldog puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
We hope that our well-researched breeder’s list helps you ease your process of finding your future American Bulldog puppy.
The American Bulldog is a dominant breed with a wayward disposition, therefore it is suitable for purposeful people with leadership inclinations. In the right hands, the pet will grow up to be balanced, fearless, infinitely loyal to the owner and their family members.
Last Updated on October 27, 2022 by Jessica Vanclap