If you live in California and searching for German Shepherd puppies for sale, you will want to choose reputable German Shepherd breeders in California who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life.
I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading German Shepherd puppies Breeders in California with all of their information.
Related: Here is our overall page with list German Shepherd Breeders In the United States that might be able to help.
Best of German Shepherd Puppies For Sale in California
1) Lundborg-Land German Shepherds
- Address: 15110 Harness Hill Dr, Perris, CA 92570, United States
- Website: http://lundborg-land.com/
- Phone: +19514434318
2) Nadelhaus German Shepherds
- Address: 24385 Million Rd #9644, Corning, CA 96021, United States
- Website: http://www.nadelhaus.com/
- Phone Number: +15306247850
3) Kreative Kennels
- Address: 12730 Valley Home Rd, Oakdale, CA 95361, United States
- Phone Number: +12096050068
4) Central Coast German Shepherds
- Address: 5760 Lone Pine Pl, Paso Robles, CA 93446, United States
- Website: http://centralcoastgermanshepherds.com/
- Phone Number: +18052030318
5) Diamond Oaks Ranch
- Address: 19880 Tenaja Rd, Murrieta, CA 92562, United States
- Website: https://www.diamondoaksranch.com/
- Phone: +19516000667
6) Wildwood Mountain Ranch German Shepherds
- Address: Somerset, California 95684, United States
- Website: https://wildwoodmountainranch.com/
- Phone: (530) 391-1606
7) Velknerhaus German Shepherds
- Address: 2352 Cambridge St, Sacramento, CA 95815, United States
- Website: https://www.velknerhaus.com/
- Phone: +1 916-370-1862
8) Ellamarie’s German Shepherd Dogs
- Address: 4739 Lucky 7 Ln, Oroville, CA 95965, United States
- Website: https://dealmaindiana.weebly.com/
- Phone: 530-680-6270
9) Rasenhof German Shepherds
- Address: 11315 Pinehurst Dr, Lakeside, CA 92040, United States
- Website: N/A
- Phone: +1 619-443-4694
Why Buy a German Shepherd From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
German Shepherd Breeders in Other States
German Shepherd Breed Overview
The breed has pronounced sexual dimorphism. Males differ not only in weight and height at the withers but also in physique – they are stronger and more massive than females. The difference is easy to see if you put a female and a male next to each other.
German Shepherds grow up to the age of 11-12 months. But the formation is completed only by 1.5–2 years.
The weight of an adult German Shepherd must not exceed the allowable marks. Extra pounds worsen working qualities and provoke the development of many diseases. Any deviation that affects performance is recognized as a serious defect.
German Shepherds come in three colors – black and yellow, gray, and black. However, within each suit, there are many subspecies. According to the standard, none of the colors has advantages over the other. The only requirement is good pigmentation.
The most common coloration of the German Shepherd is black-and-yellow. It is these dogs that are seen in movies and commercials. The back of the animal is covered with a V-shaped black mantle, capturing the sides and top of the tail.
The lower part of the body is light – most often fawn, but may be brown or gray. There is always a black mask on the muzzle.
Other colors of the German breed:
- plain black is one of the rarest colors. The shade of wool is deep and rich. Inclusions of a different color are unacceptable;
- zoned gray – with a gray color there are blackouts on the back and a black mask on the muzzle;
- zone-red – the red dog, like the zone-gray, has blackouts on the back and a black mask on the muzzle.
The White German Shepherd is not considered an official breed color. It’s characterized by an unstable character, shyness, and fearfulness, therefore it’s not suitable for the performance of official duties.
Depending on the structure of the coat, there are two types of dogs:
- long-haired – the guard hairs are quite soft. Feathers form on the ears and limbs, pants on the hips. The tail is lush with a characteristic dewlap on the lower part;
- smooth-haired – the fur is thick, dense, with a good undercoat. Slightly longer on the neck, hips, and tail. The hair does not bristle but fits snugly to the body.
How To Choose a German Shepherd Puppy?
To choose the right German Shepherd puppy, you need to study the breed standard and find a reliable kennel. It is advisable to consult with experienced dog handlers to get a complete picture of these animals.
Only a purebred German Shepherd has the virtues that are inherent in the breed. The gender of the animal is important. The dog requires more thorough training. Without proper education, the dog grows up willful, harmful, aggressive, and absolutely useless. Girls are more flexible and calmer, so they are better suited for beginners.
Choosing a German Shepherd puppy should begin with getting to know the parents. Full-fledged offspring are brought exclusively by functionally and clinically healthy individuals. A professional breeder must promptly answer any questions regarding the maintenance, development, temperament, and characteristics of their pets.
When choosing a puppy, you should pay attention to the conditions of detention. If the puppies are clean and well-groomed, then the owner spares no time and effort to care for them. Dogs should not be kept in cramped cages and isolated from people.
A puppy is best taken at the age of about two months. By this time, the first vaccinations have already been made, and the puppy is ready to leave the nursery.
To participate in exhibitions, you should adopt bred juniors, since at 6-8 months it is much easier to determine the purebred of a German dog.
Important. If a German Shepherd puppy looks thin and emaciated, shows no interest in strangers, is frightened by unfamiliar sounds and smells, most likely he is sick. It is better to refuse the purchase of such a dog.
To identify a German Shepherd puppy, you should carefully examine it for compliance with the standard:
- well-formed bones;
- not too long hair;
- brown eye color;
- saber-shaped tail without kinks;
- strong back, shortened lower back, developed hips;
- scissor bite.
Experienced dog handlers identify a German Shepherd puppy by the structure of its paws. Pedigree dogs have elongated, even, and large limbs. If you make a responsible choice, a real shepherd dog will grow out of a cute baby – a devoted friend and a formidable protector.
How Much Does a German Shepherd Puppy Cost in California?
A German Shepherd puppy in California has an average price of $900-$1700. Some Breeders could even offer German Shepherd puppies for $2500 or even higher.
The cost of a German puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a German Shepherd Puppy
German Shepherds are considered unpretentious animals. Hair care is reduced to combing a couple of times a week, during molting – daily. Mandatory hygiene procedures:
- ear cleaning;
- examining and rubbing the eyes;
- clipping of claws if the pet does not grind them off on its own;
- keeping your teeth healthy with special treats.
Dogs are given high-quality ready-made food or natural food. In the latter case, the diet includes:
- lean meat and offal;
- sea fish;
- porridge – buckwheat, rice, barley, oatmeal;
- fresh or stewed vegetables;
- dairy products.
Training and education
German Shepherds are easy to train, but training is a long process that requires patience and effort. Puppies begin to be brought up from the first days of their appearance in the house. It’s taught to observe the rules of living together, the mode of activity, and rest.
When the dog gets used to the new place, they begin to work out the basic commands. classes are built in a playful way so that the pet is interested. for the right actions, he is generously praised and encouraged with goodies.
Show dogs need handling. It is worth taking a few lessons from a professional so that the dog gets the necessary skills. The correct stance of the German Shepherd demonstrates strength, harmony, and alertness. The animal is placed with one hind leg extended to show a distinctive topline.
German Shepherd Puppies For Sale Online
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future German Shepherd puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have German Shepherd puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
The German Shepherd is a wonderful companion, guardian, and protector. But in order for a pet to become a true friend, he needs to pay a lot of attention, properly educate and train.