Let me guess, you’ve decided to adopt a Chihuahua Puppy, and you live In the Massachusetts area? However, you will want to choose reputable Chihuahua breeders in Massachusetts who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.!
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in Massachusetts, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading Breeders in Massachusetts with all of their information.
Top 3 Best Chihuahua Breeders In Massachusetts
Why Buy a Chihuahua From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
Chihuahua Breed Overview
The first breed standard was published in 1923 and included only smooth-haired animals. In 1954, long-haired individuals were legalized by dog handlers. The modern breed standard was approved in 1998.
It is noteworthy that the standard does not indicate the size of the Chihuahua, therefore, height and weight are not considered indicators of the breed. The main thing is that the Chihuahua’s weight is 3-6 k pounds.
Among breeders, the following growth characteristics are unofficially accepted:
- if an individual weighs up to 5 pounds, then its height should not be higher than 6-9 inches;
- individuals weighing more than 7 pounds must be taller than 9.5 inches.
The weight of an adult dog is always proportional to its height. “Girls” are usually slightly taller and have a slightly more elongated body.
Interesting! Chihuahuas grow up to the age of 6 – 7 months. At the end of this period, they are only gaining weight, so at 7 months you can determine the exact growth of an individual in adulthood.
Breeders, seeking to improve the breed qualities of individuals, bred the following types of Chihuahuas:
- Chihuahua cobby (cobby-type) – have a stocky build, they have a fairly large head and thick hair;
- Chihuahua deer (deer-type) – unlike the cobby type, these dogs look like small fawns: they have longer legs, narrow chests, and muzzles.
The AKC standard describes representatives of the Chihuahua breed in this way.
- The head is round, shaped like an apple. The presence of a small fontanel is allowed, which does not overgrow throughout life.
- The Chihuahua’s muzzle is short and wide, tapering towards the nose.
- Scissor or straight bite.
- The ears are erect, wide at the base and tapering towards the ends.
- The eyes are dark, round, large.
- The nose is usually dark in color or in harmony with the color of the coat.
- The limbs are long, straight, parallel.
- Paws are small, with toes apart.
- The tail is of medium length, set high, tapering towards the end.
- According to the type of wool, representatives of the breed are divided into smooth and long-haired.
- Colors can be of a wide variety of shades.
How To Choose a Chihuahua Puppy?
Before buying a puppy, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the breed standard and not succumb to the temptation to choose a Chihuahua only by eye and coat color. When choosing a puppy, its gender also plays an important role: usually a Female Chihuahua is more capricious, and a Chihuahua male, on the contrary, will be more obedient and gentle in character.
Interesting! All Chihuahua puppies, regardless of gender, mark their territory. True, Chihuahua males do this much more often.
Buy a puppy only from reputable breeders or kennels, where puppies are booked at the age of several days. It is better to take a Chihuahua puppy at the age of 3-4 months – by this time it will be given all the necessary vaccinations and documents and, possibly, will be toilet trained.
How Much is Average Price of a Chihuahua Puppy in Massachusetts?
A Chihuahua puppy in Massachusetts has an average price of $1190-$2500. Some Breeders could even offer Chihuahua puppies for $3000 or even higher.
The cost of a Chihuahua puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a Chihuahua Puppy
For a puppy, as for an adult Chihuahua, overeating is very harmful, so you need to feed them according to the established schedule:
- Newborn Chihuahua puppies feed only on mother’s milk in the first three weeks of life;
- Chihuahua at 1 month, you can start introducing complementary foods (kefir, cottage cheese, porridge with meat);
- Chihuahua puppy at 2 months old should already eat the mother’s food. Usually, Chihuahuas at 2 months are eaten 6 times a day;
- puppies 3-4 months old eat up to 5 times a day;
- Chihuahuas at 5 months should eat 4 times a day;
- Chihuahuas from 6 months to a year are usually eaten 3 times a day;
- since the year, dogs are transferred to two meals a day.
It is important! To correctly calculate the amount of portions, the owner needs to know that 50 – 80 grams of feed should fall on 2.5 pounds of the dog’s weight .
For full development, Chihuahua puppies need walks and a balanced diet.
During the first walks, the puppy may be afraid, so it is better to pick it up at first. It is advisable to walk with the puppy at least once a day, gradually increasing the duration of the walk from 5 to 30 minutes. During cold weather, the pet should be dressed in special clothes, and in hot weather, do not leave it in the sun, otherwise, it risks getting sunstroke.
When it comes to feeding you can choose both ready-made feed and natural food. In the latter case, it is necessary to additionally give the puppy vitamin supplements. With natural nutrition, Chihuahua puppies should have the following foods in their diet:
- lean meat;
- boiled sea fish without bones;
- dairy products;
It is strictly forbidden to give chihuahuas:
- fat meat;
- fried, smoked, and salty foods;
- spices and smoked meats;
Chihuahua Puppies For Sale in Massachusetts
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future Chihuahua puppy, but if that doesn’t happen for some reason, you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have Chihuahua puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
Chihuahua Breeders Other States
- Chihuahua Breeders In Kentucky
- Chihuahua Breeders In Chicago
- Chihuahua Breeders In Alabama
- Chihuahua Breeders In Arizona
- Chihuahua Breeders In Oregon
- Chihuahua Breeders In Missouri
- Chihuahua Breeders In Georgia
- Chihuahua Breeders In Wisconsin
- Chihuahua Breeders In Texas
- Chihuahua Breeders In California
- Chihuahua Breeders In Washington
- Chihuahua Breeders In New York
- Chihuahua Breeders In Connecticut
- Chihuahua Breeders In Michigan
- Chihuahua Breeders In Pennsylvania
- Chihuahua Breeders In North Carolina
- Chihuahua Breeders In Florida
We hope that our well-researched breeder’s list helps you ease your process of finding your future Chihuahua puppy.
A dog of this breed will undoubtedly become a friend and a full-fledged member of the family. A Puppy chihuahua will easily adapt to the mood of the owners, and, despite its size, is always ready to help.