The serious look of the Maine Coon has always caused a wary attitude in people. Even when the animal became domesticated, and felinologists thoroughly studied its habits, many consider the Maine Coon’s character to be as harsh as its appearance.
The breed’s phenotype is so strong that even Maine Coon mix-breeds necessarily obeys its influence and carry the main tribal characteristics: large size, unusual coat, and love for the water.
Maine Coon Mix Breed History
Scientists have already proven that all modern cats come from the territory of the Fertile Crescent. In our time, this is the space from Egypt and Israel, through Turkey, to the ridges of the North Caucasus.
Together with warriors and merchants, cats traveled on ships, where there were always supplies of food and, of course, rodents, who were attracted by food. So the close existence of man and cat was mutually beneficial for both parties.
Maine Coon pedigree is not associated with the Middle East. It is believed that the blood of Manx flows in its veins, which gave the cat its second name. The Maine Coon has lived next to people for a century and a half and is considered an indigenous breed of its geographical region.
At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Maine Coons lost their popularity due to the fluffy Persian cats, which were brought in by European emigrants. The breed of raccoon cats was rescued by farmers. The pampered Middle Eastern aristocrats could not fight rodents, and the Maine Coon’s hunting skills made it an indispensable assistant in the household.
The Maine Coon population was preserved in its original form due to the fact that felinologists did not seek to dilute the native blood by crossing the giant cat with other breeds.
In 2002, the General Assembly of the World Cat Federation allowed official interbreeding Maine Coons with Siberian and Norwegian Forest cats, as well as with Turkish Angora.
These representatives are in no way inferior to the authority of the big American cat in terms of the stability of the phenotype, immunity, and antiquity of the genus. The half-breeds of these breeds are able to improve the indicators of the feline family and develop them in the planned direction.
Maine Coon Mix Kittens
Deliberate breeding of mixed breeds in life is quite rare. A cross between cats usually occurs in the following cases:
- As a result of an unplanned Maine Coon mating. It is difficult to control a cat during the mating season, and natural instincts force the pet to show considerable ingenuity for the sake of natural procreation. This is how most mixed cats are born.
- Experiments of breeders, geneticists, and felinologists aimed at developing new breeds.
- Maine Coon interbreeding as part of improving an existing species.
Mixed Kittens from the second and third points rarely fall into random hands. The development and indicators of such offspring are closely monitored by interested specialists, who in the future decide on the feasibility of breeding.
Stray Cat Maine Coon Mix
Despite the paradox of such mating, it happens much more often than crossing the Maine Coon with purebred cats.
Maine Coon offspring with an ordinary cat most often distributes breed characteristics as follows:
- Newborn mixed Kittens are larger than regular kittens.
- At the age of 6 months, they stop active growth, but by weight, they are already significantly ahead of their peers.
- Branded predatory tassels on the ears do not grow in all mixes, and this is not surprising. Even purebred cats cannot always boast of a “lynx” attribute, which does not diminish their merits and is not considered a marriage. But the internal furrowing of the ears of mixed cats is present in 90% of cases.
- The color of a mixed kitten can be different, since stray cats, to which the Maine Coon belongs, and outbred cats do not fundamentally differ in their typical coat colors. Exotic lavender, chocolate, and acromelanic color points are not welcome in Maine Coons, and in purebred cats, such colors do not exist. Therefore, most often you can find a mix with a striped tabby color or a cross between white and black or red.
- Outbred cats, as a rule, are shorthaired, but among their ancestors, there are certainly fluffy relatives. A purebred Maine Coon is always long-haired, therefore, when crossed with an ordinary cat, mixes with short hair are rarely born.
British Shorthair Maine Coon Mix
When representatives of native breeds meet, it is more difficult to predict the result of their incest than in the scenario with a normal cat. First of all, they consider the general characteristics.
- Good health during active periods. A British / Maine Coon mix cannot be painful. During adulthood, both breeds are prone to kidney and heart muscle problems – this is their common feature. And the state of health of a mix during old age will depend only on the conditions of detention, feeding, and veterinary services.
- Traditional color. In British cats, about 250 variants of coat colors are allowed, so it is impossible to predict in advance what color the mix will be.
- The coat is long to semi-long, with a thick undercoat and strong hair. The short-haired mixture of Maine Coon and British is rare – English cats have become the parent breed for the daughter long-haired population. So the coat for a mixed cat can be with a thick undercoat and long hair, and the coat can be long or semi-long.
Important! Mixed cats are able to inherit size from the Maine Coon and a tendency to gnaw from the British. The muscles and tendons of a big cat are not designed to handle excessive weight. In this case, there is a danger of joint diseases, which can be prevented by active games.
Siberian Cat Maine Coon Mix
Kittens from a Siberian cat and a Maine Coon are born strong and healthy. The similarity of the breeds is confirmed by international felinologists, who allowed the crossing of Siberians and Americans to improve the species.
The period of entry into reproductive age in Maine Coon and Siberian is the same. Representatives of these breeds are considered full adults only by 4-5 years, although they are able to produce offspring at the age of 6 months.
Such an early formation is associated with the wild conditions of survival in which the aboriginal ancestors grew up. They needed to have time to give birth to kittens before they die of hunger or wounds.
Maine Coon Siamese Mix
The Maine Coon has a lot in common with stray cats and Siberians, and the mixture with the British breed is in the same aboriginal category. But an alliance with a Siamese is “explosive” since the parents of such a mix will be animals with completely different characters and appearances.
Kittens born from Maine Coon and Siamese cats have graceful bodies. The length of the coat is not predicted, as well as its color, and the health is directly dependent on the parental genes – diseases of the musculoskeletal system and problems with the spine are not excluded.
Interesting! This Maine Coon mix usually get a special voice from the Siamese. These cats are “talkative”, and their vocal cords are adapted to change the tone depending on their mood and wishes.
Maine Coon Bengal Mix
If the main characteristic of the big American cat is its phenotype, then Bengals belong to new breeds that appeared only in the middle of the last century.
Bengalis are known as wild Far Eastern cats that live in the Russian Primorye, and the Asian population lives in vast areas up to Indonesia.
In a cross with a Maine Coon, a Bengal hybrid usually takes part, which appeared as a result of crossing wild cats with domestic mongrels.
- They have good health and stable immunity;
- good-natured, although sometimes they show stubbornness and perseverance;
- they are very fond of outdoor games and collective pastime;
- excellent hunters due to the qualities of the two parent breeds.
- The color is often dominated by the Bengal branch – there are “wild” stripes and spots of medium length on the coat.
Maine Coon Mix Personality
Breeds of cats that take part in breeding have a great influence on the behavior of offspring from mixed marriages. Since pets are well socialized and loyal to people, the character of the Maine Coon mixes is almost always good.
They are sociable, quickly get used to their owner and all family members. Interestingly, in the vast majority of cases, mixes inherit from Maine coon a love for the water. At the slightest opportunity, they swim independently in open reservoirs and even fish.
Can Mix Maine Coons Participate in Exhibitions?
Purebred Maine Coon cats have been recognized by all international federations, therefore they take part in various exhibitions. But their mixed descendants were so unlucky – not a single expert association registers mestizos.
For specialists, they do not exist as a separate group, although when a large population with the same external characteristics arises, they can be registered as another breeding variety.
Pons and Cons of Maine Coon Mix
The inability to participate in exhibitions and breeding is considered the biggest drawback in keeping Maine Coon Mixes. People with ambition or those planning to become breeders are skeptical about blood mixing and prefer not to get involved with “half-breeds”.
But real amateur enthusiasts sometimes hunt for a rare cross in order to get their hands on a kitten with a unique cocktail of properties from various breeds. In this case, you should not count on a free gift or low cost.
The authority of Maine Coons is so great that even for their cross with an ordinary street cat, it will be costly.
The Maine Coon mix cannot be called a typical mongrel cat. The nobility of big cats is well known, their pedigree outweighs any disadvantages.
It is enough to look at the relationship between the owner and the cat to draw a conclusion about its personal merits or demerits. Because large cats, although they have an agreeable character, do not get along with bad people. It is not for nothing that Maine Coons and their owners become very similar to each other over time.
Last Updated on June 20, 2023 by Amanda Wheatley