If you live in Texas and searching for British Shorthair Kittens for sale, you will want to choose reputable British Shorthair breeders in Texas who socialize their cats and perform a variety of health checks.
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in Texas, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a kitten that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading British Shorthair Breeders in Texas with all of their information.
British Shorthair Kittens For Sale in Texas (TX)
- Address: Houston, Texas, United States
- Website: BritishCatUSA.com
- Phone Number: 215-966-9718
2) Brits and Folds
- Address: Austin, Texas, United States
- Website: BritsandFolds.com
- Phone Number: 512-947-9976
- Address: San Antonio, Texas, United States
- Website: CelticFoldsCattery.com
- Phone Number: 337-945-2164
- Address: Dallas ,Texas, United States
- Website: starlascats.com
- Phone Number: 972-571-3070
- Address: Houston, Texas, United States
- Email: [email protected]
Why Buy a British Shorthair Kitten From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a Kitten of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good cat breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at cat shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding cats.
In addition, the Kittens receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the Kitten and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious Cat breeder?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that cat breeders charge for their Kittens mostly flow back into cat breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their Kittens to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their Kittens.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable cat breeder:
- Do all kittens look lively and healthy?
- Are the parent cats on-site? Are you allowed to visit the Kittens (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their kittens will live?
- Does the cat breeder take special measures to give their kittens a good start in life?
- For example, do the kittens get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their cat back?
British Shorthair Breed Overview
British cats are massive animals, not without dexterity and grace. Their hallmark is a dense plush coat and full, rounded cheeks.
The breed standard was formed in the 19th century and has not changed much since then.
A typical representative of the breed should look like the official description. The British Shorthair ideally has the following characteristics:
- The head is large, rounded with full cheeks and a slightly pronounced but noticeable stop. The nose is short and straight. The lobe forms a vertical line with the chin.
- Ears neat, small, set low. Broad at the base, with rounded tips.
- The eyes are large and expressive. They have a rounded shape and a wide set. White British cats often have heterochromia. Chinchilla-colored individuals come with lavender, green and blue eyes. The rest of the British have an orange iris.
- The body is massive, powerful with a deep chest, short muscular back and broad shoulders.
- The limbs are short, even, with rounded paws and strong, tight-fitting fingers.
- The tail is thick, wide at the base, with a rounded tip. Moderately long.
Important! The British is a straight-eared cat. Lop-eared indicates that the animal is not purebred or that it belongs to another breed.
British Shorthair – color and coat type
British cats are covered with short, elastic, dense fur, which feels like plush to the touch. Under the shiny awn hides a thick undercoat. The standard allows several dozen color variations of British cats.
The most common colors found in the breed are:
- Monophonic (solid). This color of British cats implies the presence of a uniform color without any marks or spots. Rare solid colors include fawn and cinnamon. Gray (blue), beige, red, brown (chocolate), lilac, black and white British cats are especially popular.
- Turtle. This variant of the color of British cats is a uniform combination of spots. It is exclusive to females. It is desirable that a cream or red tint be present on the muzzle of a tortoiseshell British cat.
- Smoky. This coloring implies the presence of a contrast between the lightest undercoat and the dark awn. It is most intense on the head, back and paws of the British.
- Bicolor. On the main background, there are clearly defined white areas.
- Colorpoint. This color of British cats is very similar to the Siamese. It combines a basic white color with red, chocolate or black markings.
- Tabby. Symmetrical spots and stripes are evenly distributed throughout the body of these British cats. Because they are often compared with small tigers or leopards. The color is also called spotted, marbled or striped. On the forehead of a British cat of this color there is always a mark in the form of the letter “M”. The tabby color is characterized by spots on the belly, continuous rings on the chest and clear lines along the spine. Such a Briton has a striped tail and sides.
How To Choose a British Shorthair Kitten?
It is better to buy a British from trusted breeders or in specialized nurseries that breed this particular breed. At the time of sale, the kitten must have a metric confirming its origin and a veterinary passport with marks of vaccinations.
Little Brits should not show signs of aggression or fear. Cats should be active, playful, and moderately curious. Healthy British breed kittens have clear eyes, soft bellies, clean coats, and smooth skin without scratching or redness.
How Much is The Average Price of a British Shorthair Kitten in Texas?
A British Shorthair Kitten has an average tag price of $1100–$2400. Some Breeders could even offer British Shorthair Kittens for $3000 or even higher.
The price would depend on many factors, such as the kitten’s lineage, its parents, its health, and the breeder’s reputation.
Aside from the kitten’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your kittens like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a British Shorthair Kitten
The British Shorthair is an unpretentious cat that easily adapts to different conditions. Caring for it comes down to basic hygiene and proper nutrition.
The eyes of a British cat are wiped daily with a cotton pad moistened with boiled water or chamomile infusion. They are examined for the presence of uncharacteristic secretions and, if pus is found, the animal is shown to the veterinarian.
The ears of the British Shorthair are cleaned of accumulated sulfur twice a month. To do this, use a cotton swab moistened with a special lotion.
Cat claws are usually ground down without human intervention. But if necessary, they are carefully shortened with a nail cutter, trying not to affect living tissues. In case of damage to the vessel, the blood is stopped with a napkin moistened with hydrogen peroxide.
The teeth of the British Shorthair are brushed 2-3 times a month with a silicone brush with a small amount of a special paste that does not foam. This procedure will help to avoid the development of dental diseases.
Smooth-haired Briton does not need frequent washing. It needs to be bathed no more than 2-3 times a year or on the eve of exhibitions. To do this, use special shampoos for short-haired breeds. The washed cat is wiped with a towel and dried with a hairdryer operating in low mode.
The British Shorthair is combed out once a week with a brush, a special glove, or a single-row metal comb. During the molting period, the procedure is carried out daily.
On a note. The coat of the British cat is not prone to tangles. Therefore, when caring for it, it is undesirable to use plastic combs or slickers that injure the downs.
British Shorthair Kittens For Sale online
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future British Shorthair Kittens, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have British Shorthair Kittens for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future kitten within the comfort of your home.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned kitten a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find one.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
GoKitty matches lovable kittens with caring owners. You can browse their breed profiles to find the perfect match for your lifestyle. Peruse the available kittens or cats for sale within your matching breeds then save your favorites. When you are ready, contact the cat breeders, rescues, or pet owners of your favorite kittens to learn more and plan your visit.
The British Shorthair is an attractive cat with aristocratic habits and a developed intellect. This is one of the few animals whose appearance is fully consistent with the character.
Smiling, phlegmatic Briton, looking like a plush toy, will be an ideal pet for both family and single people.