If you live in New York and searching for Shar-Pei puppies for sale, you will want to choose reputable Shar-Pei breeders in New York who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in New York, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading Shar-Pei Breeders in New York with all of their information.
Here are some great Shar-Pei Breeders In New Jersey that might be able to help.
Shar-Pei Puppies For Sale In New York (NY)
1) Showbiz Kennel
- Address: Albion, NY, United States
- Website: Showbiz Kennel
- Phone: (585) 589-6170
2) Tiffany Chinese Shar-Pei
- Address: Central Islip, NY, United States
- Website: www.Tiffanycsp.com
- Phone Number: 631-581-2207
3) Conrad Knoll Kennel
- Address: Rochester, NY, United States
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone Number: 585-865-4503
Why Buy a Shar-Pei From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
Shar-Pei Breed Overview
Shar-Pei is an agile dog with strong bones and an almost square body, which has medium dimensions.
The head and front of the body are covered with characteristic folds. It was they who made the breed recognizable all over the world.
- The head is large. The folds that turn into a dewlap on the neck visually make it even larger.
- The skull is even and broad.
- Stop medium pronounced. Divides the dog’s head exactly in half.
- The nose is large, with developed nostrils. Dark pigmentation is welcome, but a lobe dyed the color of the animal’s coat is not considered a fault.
- The muzzle is wide, without a hint of narrowing towards the nose (experts call it the “hippo”) – this is a characteristic feature of the Shar-Pei breed. A small bump at the base of the nose is not punished.
- It is desirable that the gums, tongue, and palate be bluish-black. Pinkish spots on the tongue are acceptable, but a solid pink coloration is a disqualifying fault. Shar-Peis of dilute colors (without black pigment) has a lilac tongue.
- The jaws are powerful, closed in a perfect scissor bite. The lower lip should not be excessively fleshy, otherwise, it will interfere with the correct bite.
- The eyes are almond-shaped. The look is serious and gloomy. The pigmentation of the iris is predominantly dark. Clarification is permissible in animals of dilute colors. Wrinkles and hair on the muzzle must not irritate the eyes or otherwise affect their health.
- The Shar-Pei’s ears are small, thick, with rounded tips, shaped like an isosceles triangle. Set high on the head. The tips hang down towards the eyes. Shar-Pei with erect ears are disqualified.
- The neck is medium in size, powerful, sitting firmly on the shoulders. The folds on it should not be too plentiful.
- The topline is gently curved, descending behind the withers and rising towards the croup. The back is strong, the loin is short. Folds on the body of adult Shar-Pei are not welcome. The exception is the area near the withers and at the base of the tail. Young dogs may have a little more wrinkles, but they should smooth out with age.
- The chest is voluminous, lowered to the elbows. The belly is only slightly tucked up.
- The tail is thick and sits very high. Twisted into a regular ring or curved over the back. Dogs with missing or too short tails are disqualified.
- The limbs are straight, parallel, muscular. Paws are compact, dewclaws are removed.
In the process of breeding, Shar-Pei were divided into several types:
- The Chinese Shar-Pei is a classic representative of the breed, a descendant of fighting dogs. It is his description that is presented in the FCI standard.
- American Shar-Pei – bred on the basis of dogs brought from China in the 20th century. These animals are taller and longer-legged, with fewer wrinkles on the muzzle. The characteristic color is black.
- Shar-pei bear is a shaggy dog. Appeared due to the influx of Chow Chow blood in the course of livestock restoration work that was carried out in the second half of the 20th century. Fluffy Shar-Pei is common in Russia, the USA, and Europe.
- English Shar-Pei (also called European) – bred in Europe. Outwardly, it resembles the Chinese variety, but it looks more stretched, has a calm and flexible character. The protective instinct is weakly expressed.
- Mini Shar-pie, or mini-pie – a dog whose growth is less than acceptable. Such a puppy can be born from purebred parents. Many people liked the dwarf Shar Pei, so there were separate clubs that breed it.
The modern breed standard does not recognize any type or variety of these dogs. Animals that do not match the official description cannot participate in international exhibitions.
Color and coat type
The Shar Pei is a smooth-haired breed. Her body is covered with straight and hard hair. Depending on the length of the outer hair, dogs are divided into 2 groups:
- Horse – about 0.39 inches. The structure of the coat resembles a bristle.
- Brush – the length reaches 1 inch. The hairs are slightly softer to the touch.
The coat is upright, only on the limbs, it is slightly adjacent to the body. Shar-Pei do not have an undercoat, which is why they do not tolerate low temperatures.
The breed standard allows any solid color except for white. The tail and the area below it may be slightly lighter, and the line along the spine and ears darker.
Shar-Peis of speckled, black and tan, black-and-brown, brindle and spotted colors, as well as albino dogs, are subject to disqualification. Long-haired animals (hair longer than 1 inch), which are also called the bear type, are considered a marriage, but they have their fans.
How To Choose a Shar-Pei Puppy?
little shar-peis should not be vicious or cowardly. In the normal state, puppies are active and playful, do not have an unpleasant odor, damage to the skin and mucous membranes. You should carefully examine the dog to identify defects in the exterior.
For your information. Boys are more often bred for a show career, girls for breeding and as a companion.
At birth, puppies of this breed do not have folds, but by 1.5 months they are completely covered with them. As they grow older, wrinkles are smoothed out – the dog, as it were, “catches up” with the size of its own skin. To find out if the puppy will meet the standard, you should get to know its parents.
How Much Does a Shar-Pei Puppy Cost in New York?
A Shar-Pei puppy in New York has an average price of $1100-$2000. Some Breeders could even offer Shar-Pei puppies for $3500 or even higher.
The cost of a Shar-Pei puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a Shar-Pei Puppy
Sharpei is designed to live in an apartment. These animals do not bark over trifles, behave calmly and with restraint. The dog will be happy to rest while the owner is busy – destructive activity is not interesting for it.
In summer, Shar Pei can live outside in an aviary or kennel. for the dog not to get bored, you will have to devote more time to joint games.
It is impossible to keep Shar-Pei outside in winter. Short hair does not retain heat well – the animal will quickly become cold and sick. Therefore, in the winter months, the dog should be allowed home.
Care and hygiene
Shar-pies are combed once a week with a rubber mitt, during the molting period – daily.
The breed does not need frequent bathing. If the dog is healthy, it will not smell bad, and the natural lubricant repels dirt from the coat. Bath procedures are enough to arrange 1 time in 2-3 months.
How to bathe a sharpie:
- The ears are covered with cotton so that water does not get into them.
- Coat is abundantly moistened.
- The shampoo is diluted with water in the required concentration (the dosage is indicated on the package) and distributed over the dog’s body with massaging movements.
- The coat is washed with plenty of water. It is important to remove all shampoo residue.
- The pet is wiped with a towel, if necessary, dried with a hairdryer.
The dog is taken outside no earlier than 3 hours after washing.
Other Shar-Pei Care Measures :
- The folds on the face and body are wiped daily, removing accumulations of dust, sweat, and dirt. If this is not done, the dog may develop dermatitis.
- Eyes and ears are examined daily, the discharge is removed with a cotton swab. When redness and swelling appear, the animal is taken to the veterinarian.
- Claws are trimmed about 1 time per month if the dog does not grind them down on walks.
- Once every 3 months, the pet is wormed, in the warm season they are regularly treated for blood-sucking parasites.
Shar-pie Puppies For Sale Online
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future Shar-pie puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have Shar-pie puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
AKC Market Place
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
Shar-Pei is a dog with an exotic appearance and a difficult character, an excellent companion for calm and strong-willed people. If you treat your pet as an equal, it will repay you with love and boundless devotion.
If you like this post, be sure to check out our daily updates for more breeders & trainers.