Let me guess, you’ve decided to adopt a Shihpoo Puppy, and you live In the Iowa area? However, you will want to choose reputable Shihpoo breeders in Iowa who socialize their dogs and perform a variety of health checks.!
Look no further, To help you find the best Breeders located near you in Iowa, I’ve put my own list of important factors based on experience, reputation, quality, and client reviews.
This is the only way to verify that you are going to get a puppy that will live a long and healthy life. I know that choosing a breeder is difficult, so we created our list to help you narrow down your choices!
Below is a list of the top and leading Breeders in Iowa with all of their information.
Top 6 Shih Poo Breeders In Iowa
1) Royal Dutch Puppies
- Address: Struble, IA
- Website: http://www.royaldutchpuppies.com/
- Phone: 712 539 8911
- Directions: Royal Dutch Puppies
2) Timbercreek Puppies
- Address: Burlington,IA
- Website: http://timbercreekpuppies.com/
- Phone Number: (319) 752-5331
- Directions: Timbercreek Puppies
3) MALLARD MARSH KENNEL
- Address: Fertile, IA
- Website: http://www.mallardmarshkennels.com/
- Phone Number: (641) 797-2921
- Directions: MALLARD MARSH KENNEL
4) Thompson’s Kountry Kennels
- Address: Waterville, IA
- Website: http://www.thompsonspuppies.com/
- Phone Number: (563) 568-1354
- Directions: Thompson’s Kountry Kennels
5) Centerville, IA
- Address: Waterville, IA
- Website: http://www.puppystars.com/
- Phone Number: (641) 895-0483
- Directions: PuppyStarts
6) Providence Puppies
- Address: Wayland, IA
- Website: http://www.providencepuppies.net/
- Phone Number: (319) 470-1655
- Directions: Providence Puppies
Why Buy a Shis Poo From The Breeder?
Once you’ve decided on a puppy of a particular breed, be sure to buy one from a good breeder. A good dog breeder is registered in a breeders association and breeds according to the rules and guidelines of the respective breed association. In addition to participating in beauty and performance shows at dog shows, this also includes health checks on their breeding dogs.
In addition, the puppies receive pedigree papers, also known as “pedigree”. These papers show which ancestors were involved in the development of the puppy and whether inbreeding was carried out.
What makes a serious dog breed?
A reputable breeder is dedicated to their breed and usually only breeds this one breed. The prices that dog breeders charge for their puppies mostly flow back into dog breeding. A profit is hardly achieved with good and species-appropriate husbandry. A serious breeder does not sell their puppies to everyone but is interested in finding the “right” family for their puppies.
How do I recognize a reputable breeder?
First, make sure that the dog breed leaves a clean and well-groomed impression. The following points can also help you buy puppies from a reputable dog breeder:
- Do all animals look lively and healthy?
- Do the puppies grow up in the family instead of having to live in a kennel outside?
- Are the parent animals on-site? Are you allowed to visit the puppies (several times)?
- Is the breeder interested in your living conditions?
- Would they like to know as precisely as possible where their puppies will live?
- Does the dog breeder take special measures to give their puppies a good start in life?
- For example, do the puppies get to know car journeys and train journeys?
- Are they used to other pets and children?
- Does the breeder grant themself a right of repurchase in the event that the buyer wants to give their dog back?
These points are indicators of a reputable breeder. In addition, you should make sure that the puppies are not over-vaccinated and dewormed before buying. Worming treatments in particular can cause permanent damage in puppies that cannot be justified by a potential benefit. If the dog breeder is critical of your questions, that is also a good sign.
Shihpoo Breed Overview
The Shih-Poo is a very affectionate and loyal dog, who loves spending time in the company of the humans in its household more than anything else. Real little pot of glue, a Shih-poo will always follow its master, always quick to ask for caresses and hugs.
The Shih-Poo enjoys the company of children, as long as they are old enough to realize that they must be respected. Indeed, not being particularly patient, it can quickly get angry if you pull its hair or tail.
Like many recent dogs created by crossing two specific breeds, the Shih-Poo has inherited morphological traits from both ancestors, but in proportions that can vary greatly from individual to individual. This is all the more true since, as it is not yet recognized as a full-fledged breed, there is no official standard that accurately describes what a Shih-Poo should look like. Its population is therefore distinguished by great diversity in terms of appearance.
The Shih-Poo inherited its face shape from the Shih-Tzu: like the latter, it has a brachycephalic typeface.
The Shih-Poo has protruding eyes.
The coat of the Shih-Poo’s coat can be either short and curly like that of the Poodle, or long and silky like that of the Shih-Tzu.
There is a diversity when it comes to the coat color of the Shih-Poo. Indeed, it can be in particular black, white, gray, cream, beige, sand, brown, or even two-tone. It is also not uncommon for puppies from the same litter to sport very different coat colors.
How To Choose a Shih Poo Puppy?
When choosing a puppy, you should pay attention to the appearance:
- The puppy must be well-groomed and clean. If the coat is faded, matted, with traces of dirt, this is a sure sign that the breeder is unscrupulous.
- Special attention should be paid to weight. Excessive thinness is a sign of illness and/or improper feeding.
- The eyes, ears, nose, and anus should be clean, free of pus and other uncharacteristic discoloration.
- The teeth of even the smallest pygmy poodle are sharp and white.
It is equally important to get to know the puppy’s parents and look at the conditions of keeping the “family”. Appearance and behavior will tell you what to expect from your puppy in the future. Parents can transmit autoimmune diseases to their puppies, as well as damage to the joints and eyes. However, even if the breeding pair is in order, the possibility of the puppy’s illness cannot be ruled out. Therefore, it is worth considering the veterinary costs before buying.
The place of keeping affects not only the development of the puppy but also its psychological health. Ship poos are very intelligent, agile, and cheerful. Therefore, if the puppy is friendly and active, this is a sure sign that it’s well looked after. At the same time, if its brothers and sisters are lethargic and uncommunicative, infection is possible.
Average Price of a Shihpoo Puppy in Iowa?
A Shih poo puppy in Iowa has an average price of $700-$1500. Some Breeders could even offer Shih poo puppies for $3000 or even higher.
The cost of a Shih poo puppy varies widely and depends on many factors. The price of the dog is influenced by the eminence of the breeder, as well as the availability of working and exhibition certificates from the parent couple.
Aside from the puppy’s price, it would be best to consider the expenses that would come with it. For instance, you may want to get the essential things for your puppies like grooming tools, food, and shelter.
Caring For a Shih Poo Puppy
A Shih-poo’s coat requires some care to stay in good condition, and one of them is regular brushing. For this, it is necessary to use a brush adapted to its hair, because there are brushes for all types of hair on the market. Brushing is essential because the Shih-poo naturally does not lose a lot of hair, so you have to help it get rid of dead hair so that it does not accumulate.
When it comes to physical activity, the Shih-poo needs to walk and play to stay calm and serene. You can do this through different types of games, such as those to stimulate your intelligence, or agility circuits that include many exercises that help you build muscles and maintain good health.
Shih Poo can be given both “natural” and dry food. The “natural” diet includes:
- lean meat;
- offal (boiled);
- boiled fish and seafood;
- sour milk;
- cereals (rice, buckwheat, millet);
- vegetables and herbs;
- fruit (dogs over 4 months old).
Calculation of the portion: 500 grams of food per 75 pounds of animal weight. Feeding frequency: 1-2 times a day.
Important! With “natural” feeding, the dog is additionally given vitamins and minerals. In addition, you need to monitor the percentage of proteins and other foods: an excess of protein products can provoke allergies.
When feeding with industrial feed, the manufacturer’s instructions must be followed, which is always indicated on the packaging.
Shih Poo Puppies For Sale in Iowa
We hope that one of the breeders listed above can help you find your future Shih poo puppy, but if for some reason that doesn’t happen you can always opt for different alternatives.
For this reason, we’ve added these alternative platforms. These platforms will help you connect with people who have Shih poo puppies for sale or adoption near you. It can be a great alternative in looking for your future pup within the comfort of your home.
Finding trustworthy dog breeders, groomers, and trainers can be challenging. AKC Marketplace is your trusted resource to help make a lifetime of responsible dog ownership safe, happy, and healthy.
AKC Marketplace® is the only website that exclusively lists puppies from AKC-Registered litters, so you can choose a breeder with confidence.
Adopt A Pet
If you want to give an abandoned puppy a second chance, a shelter is definitely the place to find a dog.
Adopt a pet is North America’s largest non-profit pet adoption website. They help over 21,000 animal shelters, humane societies, SPCAs, pet rescue groups, and pet adoption agencies advertise their homeless pets to millions of adopters a month, for free.
Puppies for sale Today
Puppies Today has over a decade of experience, established in 2008. They pride themselves on connecting loving families with new furry friends and have happy customers all over the nation. They provide all of their customer’s puppy payment plans and health guarantees to ensure the best experience and peace of mind when adopting a puppy through their service.
Shih Poo Breeders Other States
- Shih Poo Breeders In Massachusetts
- Shih Poo Breeders In Arizona
- Shih Poo Breeders In Indiana
- Shih Poo Breeders In Kansas
- Shih Poo Breeders In Missouri
- Shih Poo Breeders In Florida
- Shih Poo Breeders In Kentucky
- Shih Poo Breeders In Georgia
- Shih Poo Breeders In South Carolina
- Shih Poo Breeders In California
- Shih Poo Breeders In Pennsylvania
- Shih Poo Breeders In Illinois
- Shih Poo Breeders In Tennessee
- Shih Poo Breeders In Michigan
- Shih Poo Breeders In North Carolina
We hope that our well-researched breeder’s list helps you ease your process of finding your future Shih Poo puppy.
The Shih Poo is a smart and funny companion. Communication with it will bring a lot of positive emotions to the responsible owner. However, it should be borne in mind that these dogs require special care.